Ohio State University Foreign Language Technology Certificate Program

Posted by Diane Birckbichler on March 25 2013 at 5:49 p.m.

• Hi there! How many people are enrolled in this program? How long does it take to complete it? Thank you in advance!

Posted

• Class size ranges from two (currently) to around 12. It usually takes about a semester to finish the certificate. We just uploaded the audio to the slides if you'd like to take a listen. Diane and Rebecca

Posted in reply to Elena Kurinski

• Do the students ever integrate what they've learned into a lesson that they conduct with students? How do you know that they can actually use technology in a learning setting with students? Knowing how to use technology is very different than knowing how to use technology for teaching and learning.

Posted

• A very good question. At this point, we don't actually observe in the classroom and have depended on their final projects to be the indicator of successful technology integration. You've inspired us though to think about including a classroom observation component to the program. Rebecca and Diane

Posted

• We distribute flyers at our graduate teaching associate workshop (for new GTAs) each year and distribute flyers to graduate students who are already in programs. In addition, I talk each year with my fellow chairs/directors about the program and its benefits for graduate students.

Posted

• What courses are taught in the program? It would be interesting to find out how the graduates, who teach languages in K-12, apply these skills in their classrooms and compare these data with those teachers, who did not study in your program. I have conducted an unrelated experiment in which I compared 2 teacher populations. I used questionnaires and a lot of people responded :-)

Posted

• The certificate has a series of assignments. It is basically one course. Interesting to think about the comparisons between those with this experience and someone who hasn't been through the certificate.

Posted