Virtual Participants - Let's Talk

Posted by Stefanie Panke on June 17 2016 at 6:56 p.m.

Tags: virtual participation, conference experience

//blog.aace.org

Are you presenting a virtual brief paper at EdMedia 2016? What were your reasons for submitting and how are you experiencing the conference virtually? We are looking for virtual presenters who want to share their stories on the AACE blog.

• I created a discussion for my paper: Visualizing Design: Using Visuals to Create Quality, Learner-Focused Online Learning Environments last night, but I'm not able to find the comment I added to start the discussion. Please help.

Posted

• Sorry to hear that, Amy! I just tried and cannot find your paper discussion either. Also, the search seems to react very slowly.

Posted

• Accessing the great papers and presentations and resources being shared here and on the Twitter feed (across 2 hashtage: #edmedia & #edmediaconf ) but not seeing anywhere I can view any live streams of sessions??? Is this not available to virtual attendees?

Posted

• Virtual Participation

Yuanzhong Zhang Email: yuanzhong.zhang001@mymdc.net

Like the unique option of Virtual Presentation offered by Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), the Teaching, Colleges & Community (TCC) Conference is such an innovative, web-based, global forum in the promotion of the exchange of ideas, thoughts, and perspectives on online teaching and learning at college and university that it has attracted many professors, researchers, and practitioners from different parts of the world since its very inception. Online teaching and learning is not simply a matter of application of technology, but purports to a fundamental shift in the paradigm of pedagogy by reshaping the participant structure (Philips, 1983) of the learning lessons and educational environment, reconceptualizing the social relations between the teacher and learners, and adapting strategies that grew out of the traditional media of paper-based print to suit the needs of the new online media (Zhang, 2016 http://www.howtostudy.org/review_skill.php?id=175). For educators working with students enrolled in developmental reading and writing programs at community colleges, the TCC conference represents an invaluable access to the wealth of learning and teaching resources and enriching opportunities of professional development. It simply cannot be missed!

As a new endeavor which supports professional communication and scholarly publishing, TCC conference has just been made known to me through communication with an esteemed member of the Advisory Panel of TCC-Professor Lucy McDonald-this summer. Although the opportunity of presenting and publishing at 2016 TCC conference was missed, I certainly look forward to participating in the next year's conference as soon as the Call for Proposal is open.

For those interested in the TCC conference, the National Association of Developmental Education (NADE) conference may be another great event to attend. With the theme of "Winds of Change", 2017 NADE conference (http://www.nade2017okc.com/proposals.html) is scheduled to be held in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma from March 1-4, 2017. It is important to note that proposals must be submitted by September 15, 2016. As a reviewer of 2017 NADE proposals, I have had the pleasure and honor of reading and responding to the insightful contributions made by the leading scholars as well as peer colleagues in the field, along with other members of the Proposal Review panel chaired by Professor Kayla Harding, Tulsa Community College, Oklahoma.

We look forward to a productive and fruitful new academic year filled with difference-making triumphs.

Bio: Zhang, Yuanzhong [张源中] has been offered a position of professor of developmental English/writing in the Florida State (Community) College system. His teaching experiences include also being a faculty member of Shanghai University, China, an offered visiting senior faculty position of Guangzhou University of Foreign Studies, and an offered guest professorship at a career and technical college in Qingdao, Shandong, China.

Posted