Student Perceptions of Use of Multimedia for Online Course Communication

Posted by Jaclyn Krause on May 25 2016 at 6:15 p.m.

• Thanks for taking the time to review our presentation and download our paper. I hope you find the research useful in your own professional practice. We would love to chat with you. More to the point, we would enjoy hearing your own anecdotal experiences using multimedia to communicate with students. We found students very much enjoyed the multimedia recordings for announcements and discussion posts, however, these same students indicated they were unlikely to use the tech in their own posts. What has been your experiences?

Posted

• I teach an integrated technology class for mathematics and science for the graduates studies program in the College of Education at Chapman University in Orange, CA. I started this term by conducting an online survey followed by a class discussion on preferred methods of communication for the course. The vast majority of the students requested that I communicate via Snap Chat in short multimedia clips. The vast majority of students indicated that they rarely check email despite it being pushed to their phone.

Posted in reply to Jaclyn Krause

• Our announcements go out from Canvas to email - and notifications from Canvas are sent to email. Often, these appear not to be read, although, we do not have a way of knowing for sure if the email is read or not, unless the student responds. Engagement is the key, right? The student sure do seem to take to respond well to video and other ways of presenting material (seems like there could be "written word fatigue"

Posted in reply to Dr. John Albert

• I have experienced similar comments from students. They don't read email and don't want to be bothered!

Has anyone tried encouraging students to use the Twitter SMS Follow feature? This will send text messages whenever you send a tweet. I'm thinking of starting this next term as a way of bypassing email. -Jackie

Posted in reply to Dr. John Albert

• I teach online for Ashford Unviseristy and work as a full-time instructional designer for Kent State University. In my teaching experience, I have relied mostly on text feedback and for announcements in order to ensure items are accessible. However, I do have what is termed instructor guidance for each module in my course, which is a narrated presentation describing the module. I have found that the students who view and listen to the narrated presentation have excelled at their assignments since the presentation provides added information on assignment expectations. One student who failed to follow the assignment instructions reported to me "how was I supposed to know that's what I was supposed to do since I didn't watch the presentation."

In designing online courses, many of my faculty course developers have opted to to create podcasts for each module that introduces the module and in many cases summarizes the readings or provides information on how to effectively complete the readings. The students have reported in module surveys that they like the variety of materials in the module.

In addition, I am the Program ID for the Center of Gender and Sexuality that comprises LGBT and Women's Studies undergraduate courses. We are steering away from courses that are heavy in discussions because of the subject matter. We have routinely will utilize journaling in the courses and allow students the choice of text, podcast, or video. Many students have opted for the default of creating a text-based journal, but a few have created videos.

Students have been so trained in assignments are written papers, I think it is difficult to get them out of this. In the course I am working in now the course developer is not allowing them to submit a written journal rather he prefers the journal to be written in a blog style.

We need to find ways to push students out of thinking everything has to be a paper, which part of that is instructors branching out from just assigning written assignments as well.

Posted in reply to Jaclyn Krause

• Amy, thank you for your comments! I actually did videos recently describing common pitfalls that previous students experienced with assignments (now mind you - these were written assignments - but I think it could work for say more math based curriculum too) - and if students actually watched those videos, their ability to demonstrate mastery went way up! We do have one class that I know of, that is a sales class, where students do video assignments - which is a great way to do those assignments. Any time we can think of ways to actually require assignments to be done by students in different ways, the learning could be a very different experience

Posted in reply to Amy Grincewicz

• Amy, thanks for sharing. I have had similar experiences with students. Most LOVE the video presentations and a few will complain that they don't have time to watch "all these videos". I suggest these might be the same students that consistently have challenges meeting deadlines. I agree that pushing students away from the notion that everything needs to be on paper will indeed help them express themselves through a variety of methods. Communication is not just about writing. Online should not just be about becoming your best self through the written word. I have assignments where student need to narrate PowerPoint presentations to practice verbal communication. I think that technology is starting to allow us many more options in our online classrooms. Now, we just need to bring the students along. -Jackie

Posted in reply to Amy Grincewicz