One-To-One Laptop Program Evaluation in a Rural School District

Posted by Judy Lambert on February 20 2012 at 7:55 p.m.

• Judy...we have done some research in a STEM middle school in Akron on one-to-one computing focused on transforming learning and cultural change. I enjoyed reading your paper, thanks for the virtual presentation! Cheryl

Posted

• We actually went in just with purpose of descriptive study to discuss the student experience and based on observation and student interviews collected data that lead to thinking about how transformed learning had become based on a number of factors like how they felt about themselves as a learner, how differently they learned now, when, where, why questions,--cultural changes apparent in the school climate and purpose, ways teachers interact with students, how learning is planned to be constructed by students....and much more--we are still working on bringing all the pieces together.

I think achievement is one factor to consider, but the way we measure achievement for 21st century students currently is not at all the way I think they will NEED to achieve, so I am not that passionate about measuring achievement at this point from a traditional point of view. I do think that will become important when we actually figure out how to measure it accurately within the context of real world achievement.

Posted

• I agree about achievement but that seems to be the bottom line for justifying any changes in the classroom. Hopefully, in time, we can move beyond that and administrators and policy makers will see the value in measuring other factors related to using computers.

Posted in reply to Cheryl Ward